This is a "lithophane"; a thin translucent porcelain night light, made using a lost art from the 1800's. When lit from behind, the light shining through the different thicknesses of the carving creates a highly detailed image to appear in front.
The illuminated image is so detailed it has a photographic quality to it! In addition, the relief of the carving gives the image a 3-D quality when seen in person.
They are made by carving the image in a translucent wax, with the wax lit from behind. Next a plaster mold is made of the engraving. Fine porcelain clay is then cast into the mold. The porcelain is then kiln fired at 2300 degrees F. to achieve translucency and durability.
Lithophanes were invented in France in 1827, and were popular throughout Europe till the early 1900's.
- Comes complete with on/off toggle switch, 120v 7w incandescent bulb in a sturdy box.
- Both a beautiful and practical piece of art.
- Features a peaceful beach scene including sea grass, beach chair and fence with tinted ceramic glaze
- Handmade from fine porcelain in the USA.
- Size: 4.5" x 4.5" x 2.25"